- Rockies could look to trade Rosario
- Broncos pass on available runnings backs Blount & Tate
- Giroud out 3 months – Transfer possibilities and immediate impact
- Tulowitzki out for remainder of 2014, ending his MVP season; trade rumors pick up
- Jon Lester scratched from Wednesday’s start
- Rockies make moves; Morneau, Logan activated from DL
- Trade Rumor: LaTroy Hawkins gaining interest around MLB
- Tulo spotted at Yankees game
- Broncos should consider making run at Orakpo
Avalanche in the market for a defenseman?
- Updated: December 16, 2013
According to the Ottawa Sun, the Avalanche are one of the teams that have expressed interest in Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto, and appear to be in continuing talks with New York’s front office about acquiring the 23-year old:
“Joe Sakic has been scouring the market looking for a blueliner. Colorado isn’t happy with the mix it has among its defencemen and the club knows it has to make changes to compete in the playoffs. It’s believed the Avs have shown interest in Rangers D Michael Del Zotto, but the club has made it clear it wants a top-four defenceman in return and Colorado doesn’t have that kind of real estate to offer up.” -Bruce Garrioch, Ottawa Sun
The difficult part of this is that the Rangers seem to be looking for a top-4 defenseman in return for Del Zotto, which is confusing to many because Del Zotto is already considered to be a top-4 defenseman by other teams around the league, including possibly the Avalanche.
The Avs don’t really have anything that would quite fit the bill, unless the Rangers would like Ryan Wilson, who has been injury prone of late. Some have suggested that perhaps the Avs could be trying to get the Rangers interested in a forward such as Jamie McGinn.
There were rumors during the last few weeks that the Avs and Canadiens were in talks about a major deal, but no real details emerged as far as who would be involved.
Colorado has also been rumored to be interested in Florida Panthers’ d-man Dmitry Kulikov as he is one of the hottest commodities on the current NHL trade market. Kulikov is almost sure to be dealt by the trade deadline, or even possibly sooner.
Whatever the case, it is clear that the Avalanche need help on the blue line, and it’s good to know that the front office can see that as well.